Keep it accessible
Email signatures should be organized and easy to read. Avoid using script type fonts and low contrast colors that can make your signature illegible to some. Font guideline resources https://www.writing-skills.com/best-fonts-for-business-documents and https://www.mail-signatures.com/articles/what-fonts-are-best-for-email-signatures/
Keep it professional
Ensure that you are adhering to VSC Acceptable Use policy 3.25. Unreasonable or inappropriate use of VSC IT Resources and computing resources for personal business as is using more than a fair share of such resources. Here are a list of things not to do with your email signature – Things to NOT Include in Email Signatures.
Include the Privacy and Confidentiality notice:
PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, confidential, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of an email received in error is prohibited.
Additonal Best Practices
- For Staff: Include your direct office number. If you do not have one, include the most direct number you can be reached at such as the front desk.
- For Faculty: Include a phone number where students may call or text you, if appropriate. If you prefer not to provide a personal phone number, include the phone number for the CCV academic center where you teach.
- Include your SignalVine texting number if you have one.
- Include your personal pronoun preferences.
- Include a link to our public-facing support site https://support.ccv.edu
- During the 2020 anniversary year include the fiftieth anniversary logo and link it to the fiftieth anniversary site: https://fifty.ccv.edu. Check out this page to see how that’s done.
- Set the default for when the signature is automatically added. You can do it for all new messages you compose which is recommended or for all messages including replies and forwards which can get messy if there’s a lot of back and forth (not recommended). You can also choose to only manually include your signature which is not recommended.